Monday, April 21, 2008

toby of the day, 04.03.2008

Jon’s mom is here visiting us again and reveling in toby’s new size and skills. Today we all went to lunch at our local raw, vegan restaurant. Jon and I have avoided this restaurant because, as grumpy curmudgeons we scoffed at the fact that the waiters purportedly make you say why you’re thankful before serving you, and the names of all the dishes are all self-affirming. Our waiter looked a bit like kid rock, but sounded like some new-agey self help book. We did our best not to chuckle or furrow our brows when he took our orders ("I am poised") and repeated their affirming names (“you ARE poised!”). But in the end, I think he had the last laugh as we were all amazed by how much toby loved him. Whether it was the fishnet shirt, the feather in his hat, or his crazy positive, unironic attitude, toby was smitten ("you ARE smitten!"). i searched the menu but couldn't find the right dish for me - “I am dumbfounded.”

No comments: