Tuesday, July 22, 2008

toby of the day, 6.21.2008

today we went to a birthday party for a boy in toby’s daycare who just turned 3. It was at a park and involved a tour of a firetruck. Toby was somewhat nonplussed by the firetruck, although he did enjoy banging on the enormous shiny hubcaps with a rock. I wonder if this is just a prelude to a story like the one my parents always tell about paying large sums of money to take me to disney world only to have me spend the majority of the time playing with rocks in the planters. He was also not impressed by getting to see the firemen slide down the pole. I, on the otherhand, found it pretty cool, except for a brief moment when one of them was showboating and stopped half way down only to almost have his head captured by the floor as it closed back up. Nothing ruins a birthday party like a decapitated fireman, so I was pleased when he reached the floor unscathed.

Our other excitement for the day was a trip to crate and barrel in search of curtains with ed and michelle. While we were unlucky at the curtain finding part, we did discover the oasis that a furniture store can be with a toddler, full of variously textured rugs, sofas, and coffee tables; I dare say it’s like a dream come true. Toby played peek-a-boo with other shoppers, drooled on some microsuede, and slid across the wood floors on his belly. I think the only trouble came when we got too close to a rack of hanging rugs. Apparently such a rack is almost as frightening as our hideously colored mobile, or that’s at least what I surmised as toby tried to crawl up my leg when we neared it. Fortunately, it stood between him and the dining section so we did not have to spend his college fund on shattered glassware but instead can continue to save it for the all important purchasing of wine. With any luck, ed and michelle will need to buy some finials for their curtain rods or something, so we’ll have an excuse to return

No comments: