Wednesday, November 18, 2009

toby of the day: a somebody named toby

While jon and I were eating dinner the other night, toby wandered in holding what looked like chunks of colored cardboard. “Look, somebody broke this box.” Since it was a box that had been held together by duck tape, we were not particularly fazed by this news. “uh huh”. He struggled to try to fit the extra piece back onto the other two unbroken parts. “But look, this box is broken. Somebody broke it”. I replied, “Yes, I suppose so, but, you know, that’s okay”. We returned to our wine. “Mommy, look, somebody broke it. can you fix it?” I considered this for a second, whether it was even worth hunting down more duck tape to fix that old box. "You know toby, that box sure is broken, I don't think I can fix it. but, again, that's okay, it was an old box." he looked concerned. "somebody sure did break it." I waited for him to accuse someone, Jon or I or maybe the cats, when he chimed in maybe somebody sat on it.” hmmm, maybe. “Um, Toby, did you sit on the box?” his head was down, he was still fiddling with the pieces, and his voice was distracted, innocent and perhaps even a wee bit patronizing. “yeah”. Well, I guess we solved that mystery. Up next, somebody got paint all over the floor, and it’s not who you think. Or is it?

No comments: