Saturday, August 2, 2008

toby of the day, 6.29.2008 again

so when my family first moved to miami from detroit when I was 5, we would swim in the pool all year long. But then, as we adapted to florida's pseudo seasons and lost that insulating layer necessary to survive a Michigan winter, we found swimming during the winter to be too cold. so even though my dad would have to clean leaves out of the filters and algae from the bottom of the pool all year round, we would only take advantage of it in the months when the water felt more like a bath, and the air more like a sauna. We would often get visitors from back in detroit or some other northern clime during what we considered to be the off season who would insist that the water was fine. But I knew better. I mention this because I think lemons are our off-season pool and today toby came to visit them from the yukon. For breakfast, he ate some lemons. And by eat, I mean eat. We let him taste them, assuming that he would make a face and recoil and we would all have a good laugh. And based on the faces he made, it wasn’t that he couldn’t tell that they were sour, or appreciate that sour is a somewhat uncomfortable taste. But he would make that face, that "this is unbearably sour I can't believe you're letting me eat this" face and then immediately ask for another taste, and another, and another. Apparently he believes that if life gives you lemons, you just eat them. I'm not sure yet what he thinks you do when life gives you vinegar, but we’ll let you know when we find out.

No comments: