Saturday, August 2, 2008

toby of the day, 6.29.2008


lately, jon and I have been watching eurocup games on our computer at night after toby falls asleep. Streaming games on our laptop is akin to watching someone playing soccer on a commodore 64 circa 1984, except with irish accented commentary. there is a tiny bunch of pixels that jump around the screen (for you non-soccer fans this pixel cluster is known as "the ball") and are surrounded by colored blocks of pixels. our best guess is that these are players. But it’s the best we can do, since we don’t have a tv or cable, and there are only so many lunches we can spend in local bars. Today, we watched the finals at kevin and jess’ house. Because I “lived” in spain (ok, I spent 6 months studying art history in Madrid when I was in college), I of course rooted for my home team. They haven’t won a cup final since 1964. Fortunately, I’m writing about this a month late so I suspect I won’t ruin the game for anyone when I tell you that spain won. Of course, much of our time watching was actually spent chasing toby as he wandered into the kitchen to visit the new puppy kevin and jess brought home yesterday. I suppose that's an advantage of taking a lunch break to watch a game in the bar while toby is at day care. at most, at the bar you might have to contend with the occasional drunken regular who would be at the bar, soccer or not. and while they might be mildly irritating as they chatter at you about inane things, usually you don’t have to chase them around to ensure they don’t get nibbled on by a teething puppy while they try to pull on its ears. At least that's been my experience so far.

No comments: