Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Operation bring home the bacon Part 1: the long trip to the store

Earlier this month, I was invited to interview at Kyoto University. Jon and I have sent out more applications than we can shake a stick at, so it is incredibly reassuring to have heard a response from one of them. now at least we know some of those applications must have gotten to their destinations. My interview is scheduled for 30 minutes on a Friday. I’ve tried to determine if it is just my talk that is scheduled to be 30 minutes or the entire interview, which seems terribly peculiar but at the same time, terribly possible. That means that pretty much I’m flying for 21 hours to give a 20 minute talk (and take 10 minutes of questions). It also means that I will be away from toby for 3 full days and nights, a first. And that jon will be alone with toby for 3 full nights, also a first. I think this will be a challenge for both of us, but I have to admit, I am looking forward to 11 hours on a plane without a restless toddler on my lap.

this second photo is of my hotel room. I feel like they could have found a slightly larger picture for that wall.

No comments: