Wednesday, December 17, 2008

toby of the day, thanksgiving

Today, we had Isaac, Mai and Steve over for squab and an array of vegetables. Jon and I have “discussed” squab for a couple weeks now, mostly I’ve been insisting that we had guinea fowl last year on thanksgiving, and jon says we had squab, and I then insist that we have never had squab, and he says that yes we have, we had it last year, for thanksgiving. Historically, I would have been correct. In fact, much of my irritating stubbornness in cases like this results from having a weirdly precise memory with regards to random and insignificant facts. However, it turns out that I have lost my touch. There, in our wine notes in my own handwriting, is a description of our dinner (squab and a light curry sauce) and our wine (white burgundy, tasting like earth and fruits) last thanksgiving. This is unfortunate since I have no memory capacity for other things (the names of people that I meet, anything that has to do with my job), so my ability to remember random information is all I’ve got. Jon may feel that he has won the battle, but I think in the end he’ll miss it when he asks me if I remember the name of someone we met at a party and I respond by telling him what color socks I was wearing. Regardless, the squab was tasty, the company friendly, and “trapped in the closet” chapters 13-22 were ridiculous. It gave us much to be thankful for.

(photos courtesy of Mai)

No comments: