Sunday, September 23, 2007

toby of the day, 9.21.07

here, toby is holding a milk towel with mickey mouse silhouettes on it. During their visits, each member of my family threatened to someday take toby to Disney world. And though they weren’t surprised that we were against Disney world, given our anti-consumerism/ anti-corporate ranting, they were, well, surprised that we were against Disney world. I’ve been thinking about it since then, and I realize that while we dream that toby will always prefer totoro to mickey mouse, and Nausicaa to Aladdin (and yes, I see the irony of this comparison since Disney distributes Miyazaki’s work), kids like Disney world, and I admit that I did too when I was young. It’s normal. Moreover, I imagine that my parents didn’t dream that I would, for example, prefer the dead kennedy’s and the subhumans over Woody Guthrie, so as much as we’d like toby to follow our crazy off the grid lifestyle, that doesn’t mean that he will or should. He’ll probably also want us to buy a TV that was made more recently than 1981. So I suppose they can take him, but the TV stays, at least for now.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

1. How can a child know he prefers totoro to mickey mouse, if you don't let him experience Mickey?

2. Woody was much mor in tune with your directions and tastes, so that's probably not the comparison you mean. More like Mantovani or Lawrence Welk.

Unknown said...

Hey Toby, if you are reading this post years from now and your parents still have that crappy TV, come talk to me. Maybe I can arrange for that horrible excuse for a Tv to have a little accident! Muwahaha!

Pisken said...

our little cube friend can handle anything you hurl at him. except for insults, he hates insults. and mickey.

Pisken said...
This comment has been removed by the author.