Wednesday, May 7, 2008

toby of the day, 4.16.2008

We recently borrowed some books on teaching signs to your kids. “talk to your kids before they can talk!” it says and suggests 5 first words, one of which is flower (crinkle your nose, sniff the air). Flower? Really? That made the top 5? I feel this is like my learning to talk about my cat in Japanese rather than learning the words for bathroom or lost or hungry. Since the Japanese are not like trolls in fairy tales, “I will give you directions to roppongi, but first you must tell me about your cat while your son tells me about the cherry blossoms”, being able to tell them my cat’s name is wendy is not useful information. Until we learn more practical words I imagine toby and I forever trapped in the Tokyo subway, singing songs about lulington the nasubi neko and sniffing the air in search of flowers and our hotel. Maybe I’ll start him with something more practical, like the sign for pachinko instead.

No comments: