Saturday, May 17, 2008

toby of the day, 4.22.2008

Today I’m teaching toby how to respond to unsolicited advice. Of course this plan will likely come back to haunt me when I suggest that he could work on picking up spares or that maybe he ought to be practicing his subjunctive conjugation or putting more topspin on his backhand, and his response will involve some grumbly complaints and obscene hand gestures, but we’ll worry about that when the time comes. Recently, my father, a minijumbo blog enthisiast, asked a friend of his for an opinion on the blog, and then forwarded that constructive criticism on to me. At minimum, you could say that this information was unwelcome. I have a job based on spending untold amounts of time wrangling over every word I write, every analysis I do, every figure I make, and responding politely to every ridiculous reviewers suggestion. I have no desire to replicate that experience at home. Fortunately, unlike the paper that I’m currently working on, which will likely result in me stabbing my eyes out with a stick in frustration before it goes to press, the only thing that stands between me and publishing this blog is my ability to find a reasonably cute or relevant photo and being able to maneuver the mouse to the little orange circle that I have to click on that says “publish post”. So rather than bore you with a point by point refutation of my blog reviewers suggestions, and certainly rather than improving the blog based on those suggestions, which might constitute work, I plan to just leave everything as is. If you don’t like it, you can always read one of the 1.1 million other baby blogs, including the ones capable of generating 40K in ad revenue (some of which must be good, right? actually, yes. yes they are) indeed, apparently everyone with a uterus that was once home to a kid is on the internet telling the same stories about their developing offspring. But, this is the only one that will tell you those stories about us and our offspring, and the only one that will reveal exciting secrets like what’s been on our netflix queue. So stay tuned.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, sometimes I'm a dunce.

minijumbo said...

I dunno, it did give me the chance to take a photo of toby and I flipping off the world, and that's got to count for something :)

Unknown said...

That photo is going to have so many uses over the years!